Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

High Blood Pressure and difficulty breathing
Rsmithmail posted:
I am a 63 year old male and consider myself in beter than average health. About six weeks ago I started having trouble breathing, my heart was beating fast and I felt faint. I ended up in the ER. They did cursory tests for a heart attack but found nothing. The symptoms go away after an hour or so.

Last week I had a severe attack and had to call an ambulance. My BP was around 195/95 with labored breathing. I ended up getting an angiogram. They found 20% blockage in one area and 50% in another.

The doctor gave me a prescription of Metoprolol 25mg twice a day. The next day I was back in the ER with the same problem. They just sent me home after a couple of hours with no new instructions. I am stil having spikes of 150/80, but am usually around 140/80. My breathing gets labored as my BP goes up.

I am worried that I am going to have a heart attack if the don't find what is wrong with me. Am I expecting the medication to work too fast? What should I do?

Please help! Ron

billh99 responded:
I am not sure about beta blockers. Some BP meds will have effect in a few hours. Others take a take a week or two to reach max effectiveness.

But you really should get a full workup by a cardiologist. ER is good for treating an IMMEDIATE emergency. But they are lousy for finding the cause of a problem. Specially one that does not present at all the time.

Some test that they might want to run include a Holter monitor, which is a small EKG that you wear for 24-48 hours. Also a stress test (treadmill) and echo.

Also, with those blockages I am surprised that they did not put you on a statin and aspirin.

An_244630 replied to billh99's response:
How Chinese People Treat High Blood Pressure with Surprising Powerful Herb Medicine/F01/F01

See how Chinese people treat high blood pressure easy way with traditional Chinese medicine, and you can do the same to jump out of the disease forver. Why I highly recommend this solution is because I was ever a patient and was recovered by surpring powerful Chinese herb medicine. This is the docotor below:

http://fiverr.com/tcmdoctor/give-you-traditional-chinese-medicine-recipe-to-cure-high-blood-pressure

Helpful Tips

High Blood Pressure/Weight Loss
Lossing a significant amount of weight will help your blood pressure go down and possibly get you off of your medication. I know people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center