Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

whitecoat hypertension
An_244618 posted:
I have some degree of high blood pressure and have been treated for thirty years. I take medication, exercise, eat a good diet and have normal home readings. When I see a doctor, my readings spike to 160 over 100. I have my blood pressure machine checked yearly and it is up in the doctor's office too.

I don't understand why I just can't be a little high at the doctor's. Why does my body spike? What are my true readings? I have a thorough checkup yearly and show no known damage to kidneys or rest of body.

Am I unique? I can also block my speech and stutter at times but I do have more control more this.

Anybody with a similar story?

sign me

trying and confused.

billh99 responded:
It is caused by anxiety.

While I usually don't have a problem at a the doctors office sometimes it happens.

In Feb I went to my cardiologist for a regular visit. But I was having some symptoms that I needed to discuss, althought I suspected that they where not significant.

So it was 170/100 when during that visit. And the same when I had the stress test/echo. And although from what I learned from the tech during the stress test/echo I was not expecting any bad news it was high again when I went for the follow up visit.

But this week at my PCP it was 110/70.

Other times I have had my BP high and then had to start examining what is going on in my life to cause anxiety and then as soon as I started working on the problem the BP went back to normal.

The gold standard for diagnosing hypertension is testing with a 24 hr ambulatory monitoring.

The next best is regular monitoring with a verified home monitoring.

And the worse is in office testing.

Helpful Tips

Blood pressure
I would like to know what couph medicine I can take with out my blood pressure going up. My dr gave me a inhaler, but sometimes it's not ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center