whitecoat hypertension
An_244618 posted:
I have some degree of high blood pressure and have been treated for thirty years. I take medication, exercise, eat a good diet and have normal home readings. When I see a doctor, my readings spike to 160 over 100. I have my blood pressure machine checked yearly and it is up in the doctor's office too.

I don't understand why I just can't be a little high at the doctor's. Why does my body spike? What are my true readings? I have a thorough checkup yearly and show no known damage to kidneys or rest of body.

Am I unique? I can also block my speech and stutter at times but I do have more control more this.

Anybody with a similar story?

sign me

trying and confused.

billh99 responded:
It is caused by anxiety.

While I usually don't have a problem at a the doctors office sometimes it happens.

In Feb I went to my cardiologist for a regular visit. But I was having some symptoms that I needed to discuss, althought I suspected that they where not significant.

So it was 170/100 when during that visit. And the same when I had the stress test/echo. And although from what I learned from the tech during the stress test/echo I was not expecting any bad news it was high again when I went for the follow up visit.

But this week at my PCP it was 110/70.

Other times I have had my BP high and then had to start examining what is going on in my life to cause anxiety and then as soon as I started working on the problem the BP went back to normal.

The gold standard for diagnosing hypertension is testing with a 24 hr ambulatory monitoring.

The next best is regular monitoring with a verified home monitoring.

And the worse is in office testing.