Skip to content
high blood pressure
traceyree posted:
My blood pressure is 178 over 115. Should i go to the emergency room?
billh99 responded:
I am not a medical professional and no medical professional responds in this form.

From my reading that is not an emergency unless you are having symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, vision problems, etc.

But it is high enough that you should get it looked at soon.

If you have a doctor call and ask to speak to his nurse and see if they think that you should go to the ER or make an immediate appointment.

If you don't have a doctor look to see if your insurance or hospital has an "Ask the Nurse" hot line and see if they think that you should go to the ER.

Otherwise get to an urgent care as soon today or tomorrow.
Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Blood pressure readings of 200/130 or higher need treatment immediately.

If you have had blood pressure readings of 140/90 or higher on at least two occasions, you are said to have high blood pressure and need to see a doctor for diagnosis and treatment.

If you are not treating now, please do make an appointment to discuss your high numbers!


Helpful Tips

I have been taking lisinopril for 5 years but recently in the last 3 months I have an unexplained rash on my arms that does not go away. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center