Skip to content


Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

high blood pressure
traceyree posted:
My blood pressure is 178 over 115. Should i go to the emergency room?
billh99 responded:
I am not a medical professional and no medical professional responds in this form.

From my reading that is not an emergency unless you are having symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, vision problems, etc.

But it is high enough that you should get it looked at soon.

If you have a doctor call and ask to speak to his nurse and see if they think that you should go to the ER or make an immediate appointment.

If you don't have a doctor look to see if your insurance or hospital has an "Ask the Nurse" hot line and see if they think that you should go to the ER.

Otherwise get to an urgent care as soon today or tomorrow.
Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Blood pressure readings of 200/130 or higher need treatment immediately.

If you have had blood pressure readings of 140/90 or higher on at least two occasions, you are said to have high blood pressure and need to see a doctor for diagnosis and treatment.

If you are not treating now, please do make an appointment to discuss your high numbers!


Helpful Tips

Tool to track your blood pressure
Hi, I have a friend who has high blood pressure as does pretty much his whole family. His doctor asks them to regularly take their bp and ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 65 found this helpful