Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

High blood pressure reading on waking in morning
Robertominitello posted:
My blood pressure is consistantly high when I wake in the moring. This concerns me greatly as I don't know what is causing it or how to change it. I am not on meds for bp at this time but adding suppliments and diatary changes plus jogging and breathing exercises from a cd by Dr. Weil. I am also considering the zona plus but want to get more input. Thanks

billh99 responded:
How high is it in the morning?
What is at other times?

Blood pressure is normally highest in the morning.

Robertominitello replied to billh99's response:
Thank you for your response.
On waking this morning it was 160/92 and a couple minutes later 172/97. Last evening it was 131/82 which I consider good compared to most readings I'm getting. During the day it flucuates but doesn't generally go as high as it is when I first wake up. However it isn't unusual to get a day time reading above 140/90. I resumed jogging after a couple months of walking (which didn't help the bp). The jogging has an immediate effect of lowering the bp to around 130/80.

This is the first time I have heard that bp is normally highest in the morning. Does that mean upon waking?

I also don't know what readings would be considered dangeriously high and at what point I would be endangering my health If I didn't start on a bp lowering medication? I am 72 years old and have had excellent overall health. Thank you.

billh99 replied to Robertominitello's response:
The jogging has an immediate effect of lowering the bp to around 130/80.

That is the common response to exercise. Specially when the person has some stress or anxiety.

Also studies have shown adding some resistance exercise to the aerobic helps control BP better than aerobic along.

I am not a medical professional and no medical professional normally responds in this forum.

But I have an engineering background and a bit compulsive and follow the studies the best that I can. But more limited to my specific condition.

This is what I know.

BP normally dips during sleep and if it does not that is a warning sign. But I have no idea of how much it is suppose to dip. But I did a quick google on -non dipping blood pressure- points to a number of articles on this.

BP is normally higher in the morning, but again I don't know the specifics of how high or at what time.

New studies show that high blood pressure in the elderly (although I think that that they are talking about above 75 or 80) should still be treated.

And above 160 is 2nd stage hypertension.

160/92 and a couple minutes later 172/97

I have harmless PVC (a type of irregular heart beat) and it confuses the home type digital meters. I try to get 3 readings in a row and use the average reading on the meter.

I think that your readings are high enough that it is worth discussing it with a doctor.

And ask if an 24 hr ambulatory BP test would be appropriate with your pattern.

Ambulatory BP test uses a small battery powered meter and cuff that you wear for 24 hrs. And it take reading every to 30 minutes.

derfberger responded:
this is a normal occurance.

My Dr said not to take it in the morning. Has something to do with our very early (prehistoric) ancestors that has carried over into our genes

Robertominitello responded:
Thank you for clarifying the high reading on waking. That was a big relief. Since shifting to jogging rather than walking plus dietary changes of no fried food, low salt, brown rice and lots of steamed spinich, my readings are more within normal range. Additional suggestions/thoughts are welcomed. Thanks.

billh99 replied to Robertominitello's response:
I just read a study on a treatment for hypertension. The details of the study are not important, but this gives you some idea of how BP changes over the day and with different ways of taking the BP.

This is the average of 29 people.

BP taken in the office manually 145/90

BP taken in the office with a medical grade automatic machine 136/96.

Daytime ambulatory blood pressure 135/86

Nighttime ambulatory blood pressure 119/72

Anyway it sounds like you are doing OK.

There are some indications that for most people the problem is not the amount of sodium (within reason), but rather the ratio of potassium to sodium.

So reducing the salt and upping the spinach does help. But hopefully you are eating other fruits and veggies other than just the spinach. A good mix is better for you.

The only other thing that I can suggest is to lose a little weight if needed. And/or doing a little more strenght training to increase the amount of lean weight.

derfberger replied to derfberger's response:
do a google
lot of info on the subject

http://www.hypertension-bloodpressure-center.com/morning-hypertension.html

David1390 replied to Robertominitello's response:
My BP spikes in the am also, sometimes 140/90 and then falls in the afternoon to 120/80 or even lower to 114/76.
I was so relieved to hear about the genetic code that makes it spike in the am as being normal.
I have labile BP white coat hypertension also and am obcessed about BP, sometimes taking it 8 times a day and keeping a BP tracker on my iPhone.
I have two cuffs and I think it is making me insane....

Helpful Tips

Top 17 Home Remedies for Low Blood Pressure
One of the leading causes of deaths, not only in America but worldwide, is heart complication. This may pertain to heart attack, ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center