Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

General BP question
Greg925 posted:
Hi all,
I have had, as long as I can remember, a blood pressure reading that has always been 120/80, or right around that range. In the last month or so, my blood pressure has flucated anywhere from the norm, up to 138/85. I know that this isn't incredibly high, but given that I have literally never seen an increase in my bp, I was very surprised by this fact. A couple of things to consider: I have a job that causes me a pretty fair amount of stress; this is coupled by the fact that I have recently suffered the loss of parent, which was extremely unforeseen, so I'm not sure whether this spike is stressed induced or what. I'm very active, and exercise 5 times a week, play in a flag football league, quit smoking 2 years ago, and generally feel better than I have since I was 18, 33 years old now. The only other thing that I can think of is that in addition to my increased exercise, I have started eating a much higher protein diet, although this is mainly in the form of lean protein, chicken & fish, as well as a daily protein shake. I don't really track it that much, but don't believe I eat an excessive amount of salt in my diet, so basically I'm at a loss. I have a lot of energy, and generally feel very good. Any thoughts, suggestions, feedback would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you!
Greg

billh99 responded:
People vary a lot, but stress and anxiety can definitive cause raise in BP.

And the unexpected loss of a parent is fairly high on the stress scale.

Mostly likely you don't need the extra protein of the shake, but I doubt that it has an effect on your BP.

But you might want to check the ingredient list. Some supplements can increase BP.

Chill out and go on with your life.

If still feel stressed out in 6 months then try talking to a clergyperson if you have one, a trusted mentor, or learn some relaxation methods such as yoga, deep breathing exercises, or meditation.

Helpful Tips

Top 17 Home Remedies for Low Blood Pressure
One of the leading causes of deaths, not only in America but worldwide, is heart complication. This may pertain to heart attack, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center