Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

BP meds and salt substitute
kjme11374 posted:
I currently take a med for high blood pressure (losartan potassium) and a couple of other things. Is it O.K. to use a salt substitute such as "NO SALT" if I do so in moderation?

Otherwise, I am VERY careful about salt in prepared foods that I buy, preferring the 'no salt' options where possible.

billh99 responded:
First check the label of the "NoSalt".

Then read the package insert for the losartan and see if there is any warnings or restrictions.

Many salt substitutes use potassium. And there is a warning for some classes of BP warn about consuming extra potassium.

If you are not sure ask your pharmacist.

kjme11374 replied to billh99's response:
I don't have the insert but I looked it up on line. Said one shouldn't use Salt substitutes unless directed by doctor.
I had just ordered 2 "NO SALT" from Amazon and they don't accept returns so I've written to them. It may go in my donation pile for Goodwill or Salvation Army.

Thanks for your input. I should have done that FIRST.

billh99 replied to kjme11374's response:
I never ordered any kind of food or supplement from Amazon, but everything that I have ordered has return instruction in the packaging.

kjme11374 replied to billh99's response:
Its a Food-related item - they cant be returned. This is what their policy says:

Grocery items purchased from Amazon.com and most sellers, including food, personal care items such as shampoo and skin care, and household items cannot be returned.

However, they have still given me credit for the product which is more than generous (when i explained the reason). I will hold on to the "NO SALT" til I check with my DOCTOR.

Thanks for your input.

Helpful Tips

Tool to track your blood pressure
Hi, I have a friend who has high blood pressure as does pretty much his whole family. His doctor asks them to regularly take their bp and ... More
Was this Helpful?
45 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center