Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Help with hypertension
sport9988 posted:
I don't know if this is the right place to post, but here I go anyways.
I'm 19 years of age, 5'8" and roughly 130lbs and am concerned with hypertension. I've never had any problems, as far as I know, with my blood pressure in the past, however, recently I went to see a doctor over a three day period and my blood pressure readings have been a little erratic, but most readings were; high as in above 140/90. I'm concerned that I may indeed have high blood pressure, but I don't know what to do. I exercise regularly - I go running for about an hour a day, along with stretches, push-ups, and sit-ups - I tend to avoid salty and sugary foods and drinks as I don't like them (I mainly only drink water, hate coffee, avoid soda), I love fruits and vegetables and eat them daily, along with breads and meats (although I admit I do like my hamburgers from time to time). I also don't feel any of the symptoms associated with high blood pressure aside from feeling my heart-beat in my chest, but that is only if I pay attention. Forgive me if I seem to be rambling, I'm just concerned as the only person I know that has High Blood Pressure is my father; no one else in my family - that I know of - has high blood pressure. Any response or advice would be nice.

billh99 responded:
I also don't feel any of the symptoms associated with high blood pressure aside from feeling my heart-beat in my chest, but that is only if I pay attention.

In most cases, unless the BP is extremely high there are not any symptoms until you have damage from years of high BP.

Your lifestyle seems to be good.

While there are a few causes for hypertension, such as hormone problems, by an far most cases the causes are unknown.

But other than lack of exercises/excess weight stress and anxiety can cause high BP.

And some people, such as myself, are very sensitive to stress.

You did not indicate the reason that you where seeing the doctor, but any anxiety about that and/or if you where in pain that can cause a temporary increase in BP.

You might want to wait a few months, getting your BP checked from time to time, and see if it stays high.

There are a number of different stress reductions methods. They vary from yoga, deep breathing exercises, meditation to even regular walks in a quiet wooded park.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to billh99's response:
Good information Bill!

sport, you might be suffering from White Coat Hypertension - when blood pressure readings taken in doctors' offices are consistently higher than those taken at home.

If you do need some stress reduction techniques, check out one of my favorite articles from WebMD:

10 Relaxation Exercises to Reduce Stress On the Spot

Keep up your healthy eating and activity lifestyle for sure!

Haylen

Helpful Tips

High Blood Pressure/Weight Loss
Lossing a significant amount of weight will help your blood pressure go down and possibly get you off of your medication. I know people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center