Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Medication prescribed by no hypertension? Should meds be taken?
dwcmommy posted:
My husband just did a 24 hour monitor for hypertension. It showed that he does not have hypertension (average over 24 hours was 130/80) but the doc prescribed an ACE inhibitor. He said something about the highest dose is 60mg, and a "good" dose is 8 mg, but he was prescribing 4 to "prevent" the possibility of him developing hypertension.

Is this common practice???

To me it doesn't make sense that he would take medication for something he doesn't have. (?) It's like saying "hey, maybe one day you'll get diabetes, so I'm going to get you to take this really low dose of insullin, just in case"...

Should he be taking this medication? We're thinking he needs a second opinion.

billh99 responded:
Well hypertension is defined as BP is 140 S or higher, or 90 D or higher.

But 120-139 / 80-89 is per-hypertensive.

So normally BP is not treated until it is over 140/90, but if there is diabetes treatment is started at 130.

IDEAL (lowest death rate for all causes) is 115/75.

ACEi are also cardio protective. So if he has an MI or angina there might be a reason to prescribe it for that.

I am not a medical professional (and none normally reply in this forum). By my though is that an ACEi would not normally prescribed for a BP of 130/80.

However, I could see it being prescribed based on his whole medical history and family history.

Helpful Tips

Sleep Apnea and Uncontrolled hypertension
Greetings!! I have had about all the symptoms, testing that you all are talking about. Go to a good Sleep /Pulmonary Physician because ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center