Skip to content


Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

High blood pressure issues
sflores81 posted:
What type of doctor do I need to consult for high blood pressure issues?
I have a general practice doctor right now but my blood pressure
is still high even though I'm on medications (Losartan 100mg).
billh99 responded:
Really you need to be talking to your GP more about this.

How high is your BP, how high was it?

If the Losartan is helping, but not enough then the usual practice is to add a 2nd and/or 3rd med of a different class.

And if the Losartan is not helping then switching to a different class of meds.

Also discuss your lifestyle. Often exercise, losing weight, and healthy eating will reduce the amount of meds and sometimes eliminate the need for the meds.

In general, unless you have other medical problems, you don't need a specialist until you have worked through those options and still have high BP.

In general internist, cardiologist, and kidney specialist are BP specialist.

You can look up registered specialist here. But I think that it only covers a limited number of specialist.

Helpful Tips

Don't be're not alone
For all who stumble upon this thread, I can feel the pain of trying to quit (and yes, quitting smoking will probably solve all the problems ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center