Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

hypertension & high bllod presser by digital instrument is correct?
bimal151 posted:
It is to inform you that I feel that blood pressure checked by digital instrument if correct in full.
1.I have checked my blood pressure in digital instument twis within two minute time period and found great variasion in the blood presure result.In the first check us i find 150/100 and after 2 minutes again i massure and found 135/92.Why this difference.I massure in another digital instrument and find the same difference from the measurement of period of 2 minuts only.Can any body tell why such variation at the time period of 2 minutes only?

billh99 responded:
I have the same problem.

In my case I suspect that it is because I have a low resting heart rate 42-48. And I also have PVC's that can make the heart beat irregular.

And when I have a large amount of PVC's then I will get the wild differences. Sometimes 20-25 points. And when I have few PVC then the readings will be within 5-10 points.

Many home BP machines have a function to average the last 3 readings. I use that to get a more meaningful reading.

I have notice that the professional machines use better algorithms and don't have this problem.

billh99 responded:
PS, I did not answer why this happens.

The machine feels when pulses return and then stop again as the pressure in the cuff is reduced.

With slow heart rate there can be a large drop between the cuff pressure between beats.

Helpful Tips

Blood pressure
I would like to know what couph medicine I can take with out my blood pressure going up. My dr gave me a inhaler, but sometimes it's not ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center