Sudden spike in blood pressure to 166/99 in 3 hours from 127/77.
scotttkeen posted:
Hi, this is my first post. Last week, I wound up in the ER three nights in a row because I was bleeding unctrollably from my nose and gagging on the blood going down my throat. The doctor's found my BP to be 230/136! I had no idea I had hypertension. Now I know.

I started treatment with a doctor who put me on:
LISINOPRIL 40 MG
SPIRONOLACTONE 50 MG
CHLORTHALIDONE
AMLODIPINE

After a few days, my BP seemed to average around 128/77, and ranging 117-146 systolic, 70-86 diastolic. My heart rate has remained pretty constant, between 70-80.

Today, my BP was 138/84 prior to lunch. 2 hours after lunch it dropped to 123/77. Great! Or so I thought. 3 hours later, it spiked to 156/101!!! I couldn't believe it, so I took it 3 more times: 154/96, 143/99, 166/99. My heart rate ranged from 70-77.

What caused this sudden spike in BP? I haven't seen these high numbers for about a week, since my last trip to the ER. I have been watching my diet, dropped some weight, lowered my sodium intake to almost none, and walk 20 minutes everyday.

The only thing I did out of line was have 3 glasses of sweet iced tea with lunch, my first time to have anything with caffeine since I went to the ER.

Could the 3 glasses of iced tea have caused this sudden spike in BP to go from 123/77 to as high as 166/99?

billh99 responded:
Some people are more sensitive to caffeine than others. But I don't know if it caused an increase in BP in your case.

This is something that you need to watch and experiment with for a while to what you might react to.

And that includes stress and anxiety.

With the frequent taking of your BP I wonder is you might be stressing out over it.