Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Sudden spike in blood pressure to 166/99 in 3 hours from 127/77.
scotttkeen posted:
Hi, this is my first post. Last week, I wound up in the ER three nights in a row because I was bleeding unctrollably from my nose and gagging on the blood going down my throat. The doctor's found my BP to be 230/136! I had no idea I had hypertension. Now I know.

I started treatment with a doctor who put me on:
LISINOPRIL 40 MG
SPIRONOLACTONE 50 MG
CHLORTHALIDONE
AMLODIPINE

After a few days, my BP seemed to average around 128/77, and ranging 117-146 systolic, 70-86 diastolic. My heart rate has remained pretty constant, between 70-80.

Today, my BP was 138/84 prior to lunch. 2 hours after lunch it dropped to 123/77. Great! Or so I thought. 3 hours later, it spiked to 156/101!!! I couldn't believe it, so I took it 3 more times: 154/96, 143/99, 166/99. My heart rate ranged from 70-77.

What caused this sudden spike in BP? I haven't seen these high numbers for about a week, since my last trip to the ER. I have been watching my diet, dropped some weight, lowered my sodium intake to almost none, and walk 20 minutes everyday.

The only thing I did out of line was have 3 glasses of sweet iced tea with lunch, my first time to have anything with caffeine since I went to the ER.

Could the 3 glasses of iced tea have caused this sudden spike in BP to go from 123/77 to as high as 166/99?

billh99 responded:
Some people are more sensitive to caffeine than others. But I don't know if it caused an increase in BP in your case.

This is something that you need to watch and experiment with for a while to what you might react to.

And that includes stress and anxiety.

With the frequent taking of your BP I wonder is you might be stressing out over it.

Helpful Tips

Student looking for Opinions
I am a student at Brown University in Providence, RI, USA doing a project on constant blood pressure monitoring. Instead of using a blood ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center