Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

meds
coolblackman85 posted:
I am a Black male 49 with High Blood Prerssure can anyone reccommend an effective medication?

billh99 responded:
There are many meds that are effective for hypertension. But what works for one person might not work for another one. You need to work with your doctor.

However there are many things that you can do to reduce blood pressure.

Lose weight if needed.

Eat a healthy diet.

Reduce the amount of sodium in the diet and also make sure that you get lots of potassium.

And exercise. Both aerobic and resistance exercises help.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
If you're interested in medication, please do see your doctor to discuss your options. Information and user reviews on many medications can be found here: WebMD Drugs & Medication A - Z

As Bill mentioned, lifestyle changes can be very effective. Check out the WebMD High Blood Pressure center for a wealth of information on diet, exercise and stress reduction.

Haylen

coolblackman85 replied to billh99's response:
  1. Absolutely aware of need to work with Dr. Just hoped there were other Black men out there with suggestions.Medications do vary in effectiveness but it is also true that Blacks have more in common medically with each other than with outside races.So what might be working for another Black male may also work for me.Correct?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to coolblackman85's response:
I'm not sure about that! You might want to ask that question on in the WebMD Heart Community - we have a fabulous expert there, James Beckerman, MD, FACC , who addresses many posts.

And, I love your profile name

Haylen

PS - I'm sure your aware of this info but for others interested, here's an article that outlines some of the challenges faced:
High Blood Pressure in African-Americans

coolblackman85 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Great article Haylen and thank you WebMD for taking interest in my question.

Helpful Tips

Sleep Apnea and Uncontrolled hypertension
Greetings!! I have had about all the symptoms, testing that you all are talking about. Go to a good Sleep /Pulmonary Physician because ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center