Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Healthy 30 y/o ADD adult... high BP from stress???
stephgob posted:
A little background...I'm a 30 year old femal, 5'10" and 130lb, I am an avid runner, triathlete, and fitness junkie. I eat healthy most of the time (w/ a little splurge here and there) and exercise often. The only thing I can think of that could give me a high BP is stress...

I'm trying to figure out if my ADD-related anxiety (and response to stress) is contributing to this new BP problem! I recently went to the doc for pain in my chest when breathing deeply (and it radiated out to my shoulders, up the back of my neck into my head). It was miserable the first day, bearable the 2nd day when I saw the doc. My blood pressure was fairly high...I think he said something like 153/86. The doc didn't really address that much, just sent me for a chest xray. I found it odd that he glazed over the BP when the nurse who took my BP made a point of telling me it was high.

My stress at work has been a bit abnormal and more consistent lately than in a while. Can stress alone make that much of a difference in BP levels? Has anybody else had issues like this? Other than continuing to eat healthy and exercise, what can be done?

I am not to the point of needing medication, I just wonder if this is something I should worry about...

billh99 responded:
People vary a lot in their reaction to stress.

In my case I have notice a 40-50 point increase in BP from anxiety. In some cases I don't even recognize that something is causing me stress and until I notice the increase in BP and then look at what is going on in my life at the time.

It was miserable the first day, bearable the 2nd day when I saw the doc

Pain, itself, is a stress that can raise BP. And if you where at all concerned about what the problem might be that additional stress.

Anything over 140/90 is high enough to treat. If it is a true BP.

So if this was only an isolated incident due to the chest pain then no problem.

But if your are reacting to long term stress and have consistently elevated BP then you need to treat it. If possibly be learning relaxation methods.

stephgob responded:
Update: 2 days later I measured my BP (granted, this time was at a pharmacy, so probably less accurate), and it was a shockingly high 155/105.

I realize that I'm stressed at work, and there's very little I can do about that at the moment. I am a runner, but I haven't run much in the past couple of weeks (recovery weeks from a race). I am now watching my sodium intake b/c when not running as much, I sweat less, thus requiring less sodium to replenish what I've lost. I am also gonna get back into distance running this weekend.

Other that running more, making myself relax, and watching sodium, I'm not sure what I can do... don't want to take any meds b/c I am already on anxiety stuff. I figure, worst case scenario, I up the dosage of the anxiety meds before going to BP meds.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to stephgob's response:
Hi stephgob,

I'm sorry you are in a stressful work situation! I've been there before and it can be pretty horrible. I hope you're working on an "exit strategy!"

This is one of my favorite WebMD articles:

Blissing Out: 10 Relaxation Techniques To Reduce Stress On-the-Spot

Some of the techniques sound so simple but really work for me.

Please let me know how the running goes this weekend - ((hugs)) to you steph!

Haylen

Helpful Tips

Sleep Apnea and Uncontrolled hypertension
Greetings!! I have had about all the symptoms, testing that you all are talking about. Go to a good Sleep /Pulmonary Physician because ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center