Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Is there anybody else???
ang2962 posted:
Hi. I am 34 yrs old and I have had high blood pressure since I was 23 and delivered my 2nd child. With my 1st pregnancy I had I had preeclampsia (toxemia) and delivered her 5 weeks early with my blood pressure being high and fluid and protein count. After I delivered her my bp went back to normal. 2 yrs later I got pregnant with my 2nd child. I was once again diagnosed with toxemia. I had the same symptoms other than my bp was up only 2 times during my visits. After i delivered her it went up and never came back down. I have been on blood pressure meds since. Somebody please tell me they have a similar story and what they learned through their experience. All I have learned is a certain percentage of pregnant women with toxemia end up with high bp. Is this correct?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi there ang,

I found this question in an article on toxemia: Do preeclampsia and high blood pressure lead to long-term high blood pressure? The answer given is: If you have high blood pressure during pregnancy but had normal blood pressure before pregnancy, your pressure is likely to go back to normal after you have the baby.

So it sounds like your continuing high blood pressure isn't the norm! You might want to ask your question in our Parenting Community . There are many moms there who might be able to share their experiences!

Haylen

stilwalking responded:
Hi. I had a very similar experience to yours. I developed pre-eclampsia during my both my pregnancies. My pressure never returned to normal and I am now 58.

I have never found a medical professional who will admit that pregnancy can cause permanent high blood pressure but I think that preeclampsia should be renamed 'Gestational Hypertension' and women should be warned (the way they are for Gestational Diabetes) that they may be at risk for hypertension.

An_248791 responded:
Hello ang2962,

Please take every medication you are advised to do, my LATE wife went through exactly the same situation some years ago and unfortunately passed away at at the age of 35 leaving me with two young daughters aged 8 and 6. I wouldn't want any body else to go through what we went through at that time.

I have moved on an have two more daughters with my partner but the echos of what happened are still having a hugh influence on all our lives.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to An_248791's response:
Hello Anon -

Thank you for sharing your story. I am so sorry your family has experienced this.

ang2962 - 8 years ago I developed preeclampsia and was on magnesium sulfate. After delivery my pressures did not return to normal for several weeks and I was prescribed meds. Luckily my pressures finally returned to normal and have continued to be OK.

Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

Blood pressure
I would like to know what couph medicine I can take with out my blood pressure going up. My dr gave me a inhaler, but sometimes it's not ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center