Skip to content
Not taking health seriously
ashtonn17 posted:
My fiancee has a heart condition that the doctors can't explain. He's 26, a healthy weight and has had 3 heart attacks. He also has high blood pressure (stage 1 hypertension) but he doesn't take any of his health problems seriously and he acts like he doesn't care. He continues to drink, smoke and eat unhealthy. Is there any thing I can do to help him realize that he needs to do something and that I want him to be around for a while?
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Ashtonn17 and Welcome -

Sounds like you have a very stubborn finance dealing with a dangerous situation.

Unfortunately, if multiple heart attacks have not made him realize his habits need to change, I'm not sure what will.

Bottom line - You may not be able to change him, he has to want to change. Perhaps you can lead by example and follow a healthy lifestyle plan - 4 Steps to a Healthy Lifestyle

Stock your kitchen with only healthy choices - Benefits of a Healthy Diet

Excuse yourself or leave the area if he is smoking, you don't want to be exposed to second hand smoke.

See our Hypertension/High Blood Pressure Health Center for more information.

Hoping he makes changes so you can enjoy many years together.

Please keep us posted,
Desiree12 responded:
Try getting him on the paleo diet. My son is on it, doesn't restrict his food yet and has lost 100 lbs. he isn't hypertensive and weoighs alot. on the other hand I have high blood pressure. I have been gaining weight steadily for 20 years. I started the paleo diet. 3 months ago and have lost 25 lbs. for the first timre in 10 years. yYou can make things homemade that he can eat. substitute taopioca flour, coconut flour, and potatoes for regular flour. substitute pumpkin, apple sauce, etc for butter. basically no storebought breads or pastries. Diet is a personal choice if you force him, he might get worse. On the other hand, who said you can't trick him.

Helpful Tips

Blood pressure
I would like to know what couph medicine I can take with out my blood pressure going up. My dr gave me a inhaler, but sometimes it's not ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 11 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center