Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Not taking health seriously
ashtonn17 posted:
My fiancee has a heart condition that the doctors can't explain. He's 26, a healthy weight and has had 3 heart attacks. He also has high blood pressure (stage 1 hypertension) but he doesn't take any of his health problems seriously and he acts like he doesn't care. He continues to drink, smoke and eat unhealthy. Is there any thing I can do to help him realize that he needs to do something and that I want him to be around for a while?

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Ashtonn17 and Welcome -

Sounds like you have a very stubborn finance dealing with a dangerous situation.

Unfortunately, if multiple heart attacks have not made him realize his habits need to change, I'm not sure what will.

Bottom line - You may not be able to change him, he has to want to change. Perhaps you can lead by example and follow a healthy lifestyle plan - 4 Steps to a Healthy Lifestyle

Stock your kitchen with only healthy choices - Benefits of a Healthy Diet

Excuse yourself or leave the area if he is smoking, you don't want to be exposed to second hand smoke.

See our Hypertension/High Blood Pressure Health Center for more information.

Hoping he makes changes so you can enjoy many years together.

Please keep us posted,
Elizabeth

Desiree12 responded:
Try getting him on the paleo diet. My son is on it, doesn't restrict his food yet and has lost 100 lbs. he isn't hypertensive and weoighs alot. on the other hand I have high blood pressure. I have been gaining weight steadily for 20 years. I started the paleo diet. 3 months ago and have lost 25 lbs. for the first timre in 10 years. yYou can make things homemade that he can eat. substitute taopioca flour, coconut flour, and potatoes for regular flour. substitute pumpkin, apple sauce, etc for butter. basically no storebought breads or pastries. Diet is a personal choice if you force him, he might get worse. On the other hand, who said you can't trick him.

Helpful Tips

Student looking for Opinions
I am a student at Brown University in Providence, RI, USA doing a project on constant blood pressure monitoring. Instead of using a blood ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center