Skip to content
Can't get help!!!
PapaG posted:
I am a 52 YO male. I have been having a problem where I get unbelievabley short of breath when I exert myself and it's getting worse. It's like someone flipped a switch and all of the oxygen was replaced by helium for up to 5 minutes. I can't get a doctor to take me seriously. I think it's pulmonary hypertension. Is it really this hard to get a diagnosis? Has anyone else had this problem? I am despirate for help, is there anyone else out there that has experienced this? It's not like when I exersize,; I get winded but not like this. It only happens when I am stressed and exert myself or with sudden excessive exertion like picking up something heavy and carring it a few feet. I've had heart failure in the past but it seems to be OK now, at least thats what they tell me. I am a big strong man, at least from appearences, and that seems to be what throws these doctors. They expect to see someone who is frail and deminnished. Over the past year, my abdomen has expanded by about 3 times it's normal size and sloshes when I push on it. I feel like I'm pregnant. along with the shortness of breath, passing out when I stand and overall dizziness I fit most of the symptoms. ANYBODY????
scotland responded:
Sounds like Pulmonary Hypertension. Those are the syptoms my mom has. one side of the heart does not pump the fluids through the body. So the abdomen fills with fluid,as do legs. You need to find a good Pulmonary Doctor, they found my moms.
scotland responded:
It puts pressure on your lungs

Helpful Tips

Blood pressure
I would like to know what couph medicine I can take with out my blood pressure going up. My dr gave me a inhaler, but sometimes it's not ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 11 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center