Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

High Blood pressure
Nathc22 posted:
I am a 35 year old male. I work out four to five days a week. I do have a history of anxiety and depression as well. Runs in the family!
I recently started feeling light headed, dizzy, and very anxious. My eyesight felt strange and I was getting a very strong pull behind my eyes. I went to the ER and they checked my eyes out thoroughly. All came back fine, but my blood pressure was 175/110- They released me the same day and I felt the same symptoms when I woke up the next day. I went right to my internist and my pressure was 180-120. I was sort of freaked out. My head feels funny, light and sort of spacy. He gave me some meds and the pressure went down enough that I could leave. I am now on amlodopine and hydrochlor. I took them both last night and I feel AWFUL right now. Dizzy/lightheaded and out of it! Is this normal? The doctor also ordered a blood workup checking my kidneys and a renal ultrasound. I am a little worried, any suggestions would be great.

billh99 responded:
It is a little early to try and suggest anything. I am glad to hear that your doctor is checking the kidneys. While not a common cause for high BP, it can be a missed one - specially for sudden, large increases. Also ask him if he is checking the adrenal glands.

But in most cases high BP is "essential". That is the cause is not known and if lifestyle changes can control it then meds is needed.

But the one thing that you can start on it reduce the anxiety. That will increase BP and is not healthy long term.

There are a number of relaxation methods that will help. They include bio-feed back, meditation, breathing exercises and yoga. The book The Relaxation Response, by Herbert Benson is a good place to start.

Sometimes it helps seeing a councilor to learn some relaxtion exercises. Also it might help to see a councilor to learn what are the triggers behind the anxiety.

Nathc22 replied to billh99's response:
Great advice, I appreciate it, thanks!

Helpful Tips

High Blood Pressure/Weight Loss
Lossing a significant amount of weight will help your blood pressure go down and possibly get you off of your medication. I know people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center