Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Relation between an upper respiratory infection and hypertension??
lionbaby73 posted:
I went to the immediate care clinic today because I'm feeling totally miserable with an URI and really bad allergies with "barking" cough and a massive headache. When they took my vitals my BP was at 154/110...I've been on bp meds for years (metoprolol, diovan/hct, norvasc) and I never fail to take them....so why was my blood pressure so high if I took my meds and (obviously feeling so crappy) spent most of my day in bed? Should I be concerned?

billh99 responded:
No medical professional responds in this forum.

But I can see a number of reasons for increased BP. The stress and discomfort of condition like this will have an effect on BP.

And you probably have a reduced air flow and that will increase BP.

And any meds that you are taking (prescription or OTC) might affect it.

Also you are probably not eating as well or as active as you normally are.

You might want to call your PCP office and ask to speak to his nurse. Tell the nurse what is happening and if they want you to make an temporary adjustment in your meds.

Helpful Tips

Tool to track your blood pressure
Hi, I have a friend who has high blood pressure as does pretty much his whole family. His doctor asks them to regularly take their bp and ... More
Was this Helpful?
45 of 62 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center