Skip to content


Home Blood Pressure Monitors: Tracking Made Easier

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

systolic number
AllenBrague posted:
my blood pressure runs high, usually the systolic is high while the diastolic can remain close to a normal range. what class of medication is best to control the systolic? i am currently on felodopine, labetalol, clonodine, and hydrochlorathiazide. which should be doing the magic>?
billh99 responded:
No medical professional responds in this forum. And even if they did they could not really tell you with out lots more information.

I will just make a couple of comments.

An ACEinhibitor (or ABR if the ACEinhibitor can't be tolerated), calcium channel blocker (felopine), and/or a diuretic (hydrochlorathiazide) are the classes of medicines that are usually recommended as the first chose for treating high BP.

I see that you are not taking an ACEi or ABR.

I have seen some research that indicates that hydrochlorathiazide is not as effective as orginally thought and that other diuretics are more effective. Specially for people of normal weight.

You might want to see a hypertension specialist.

Helpful Tips

Tool to track your blood pressure
Hi, I have a friend who has high blood pressure as does pretty much his whole family. His doctor asks them to regularly take their bp and ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 66 found this helpful