Skip to content
systolic number
AllenBrague posted:
my blood pressure runs high, usually the systolic is high while the diastolic can remain close to a normal range. what class of medication is best to control the systolic? i am currently on felodopine, labetalol, clonodine, and hydrochlorathiazide. which should be doing the magic>?
billh99 responded:
No medical professional responds in this forum. And even if they did they could not really tell you with out lots more information.

I will just make a couple of comments.

An ACEinhibitor (or ABR if the ACEinhibitor can't be tolerated), calcium channel blocker (felopine), and/or a diuretic (hydrochlorathiazide) are the classes of medicines that are usually recommended as the first chose for treating high BP.

I see that you are not taking an ACEi or ABR.

I have seen some research that indicates that hydrochlorathiazide is not as effective as orginally thought and that other diuretics are more effective. Specially for people of normal weight.

You might want to see a hypertension specialist.

Helpful Tips

3 reasons your iPhone is better than pen and paper for tracking blood pressure
1. Reminders to help you never miss a reading! When you track your blood pressure (BP) with an App, it's always with you. You can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center