Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Scary HBP
An_249969 posted:
It was great to read so many responses and advice to this post. I'm 33 and have HBP and I've started ACE inhibitors. Whatever is being talked about I go through myself. It's a constant niggling in the back of mind that oh I've got HBP! It stresses me out a lot and mostly thinking about my young children. I want to be a healthy happy mother. I'm obese aswell but I'm not leading a sedentary lifestyle.i work and run errands etc. I try to lose weight but quickly jump off the band wagon. I feel defeated most of the time when it comes to my eating habits. I would say its more of a problem with my sweet tooth and portion sizes. Otherwise I do eat a lot of vegetables and salad, but with occasional cakes and chocolates I measure my bp with an electric monitor and Im so stressed out when Im about to measure it. My heart races and I try not to look at the monitor till its finished. I notice that the BP drops with each reading I take,,,from 150/100 to 130/90 in the space of minutes as I calm down a bit. How reliable is this then?

billh99 responded:
Talk to your doctor about this. Ask him about getting an ambulatory BP test. That is a wearable BP machine that takes you BP every 10-30 minutes for 24 hours. But you see the numbers.

After the first couple of ones it should be an reasonable indication of what it is really doing.

And you probably need more exercise.

And it sounds like you might need to reduce the stress on yourself.

Doing things like walks in the nature and yoga are both exercise and help reduce stress.

There are also diet forums on WebMD.

And some employers and some insurance have wellness programs.

There are many different ones.

For example Humana has a Vitality program where you can get points for exercise. You can also setup goals, such as weight loss and gain points that way.

There are also many systems such as Fitbit and Nike Fuel that monitor you activity and let you record then on the web. Check and see if they also offer a "community" or forum where you can get support for weight control.

Saucyakld responded:
trouble is your are a very busy person! Easier to grab a doughnut or something sweet and quick than look at other options! First rid your home and fridge of any sweet and calorie laden stuff! And don't buy it, bad habits form early so your kids will thank you when they grow up lean instead of the downhill slide into obesity! Then get yourself a step counter, they are really cheap, in New Zealand they cost $9.99, with the US dollar probably 5 bucks! 10,000 steps a day sounds a lot but not if you say what you do! Next fill your fridge with whole foods, no packet stuff. Learn to cook lovely stuff from scratch! My husband was overweight when we got married, on my scrumtious cooking regime he became trim and healthy and at 67 still is! When you eat sweet stuff your body craves it, so when you are hungry it wants you to look for that! After a while of eating a bit of fruit, scrubbed carrot etc you will get horrible sweet gravings, but slowly that will go and you will enjoy how healthy you feel! And the cravings will go! I wish I lived nearer to you to guide you through, it is such a lot cheaper and easier than junk food and stuff that is precooked! So much salt to make crap taste good is pushing up your B/P as does your weight and soon you will have diabetes, kidney problems, knee problems and your heart will give out so think really hard what you want! I can't do it for you but I can guarantee it works! All love to you and if you want to email me for hints it is tineke123@orcon.net.nz

swencel responded:
I suffer with HPB & a sweet tooth also, these are a symptoms we need to keep under control, but how? I know of a Dr. who is having a live Cardio call Feb. 13, at 7pm MST. The #is 1-800-832-4695 Pin:8908#, this call is free, just your phone minutes. I'm going to listen as well. I feel the more I can learn the better! Let me know if you listen & we can compare our thoughts.

swencel replied to swencel's response:
Oh, if you listen to the Dr.'s call & want to email me you can at swencel@yahoo.com .

Helpful Tips

Don't be afraid...you're not alone
For all who stumble upon this thread, I can feel the pain of trying to quit (and yes, quitting smoking will probably solve all the problems ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center