Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Exercise induced HTN
Stagsrn posted:
Hi,

I have been very athetic my entire life. Recently, I have become dizzy, and exhausted during a few workouts. Now, just to explain the lase occurrence, I did fine during most of the workout, for 20 minutes. But, I went back and did some heavy bag work. I could not catch my breath, and my right eyeball hurt. When walking, I felt week, faint, tired, dizzy, etc. I sat down for 20 minutes, before leaving. I also drank and AMP energy drink before beginning. About a half hour after the workout, my BP was 166/97 with a hr of 133. I took my BP every 20 minutes, and it slowly went down, but it took and hour and 15 minutes for it to return to my norm of 124/84...but the HR will still high 110.

I think that I have Exercised Induced HTN. I wonder what the role that energy drinks have in this. I love to be athletic, and I don't want to quit, but, I also enjoy living. So, I have a few questions.

Is there a way to stay on top of this and continue to be athletic?
How much can an energy drink like AMP of Redbull have in this?
What type of follow up would you consider most advisable?
Do Beta's do a good job handling all of this?
Does ablation over a viable option for someone who want to remain safe and athletic?

Any help or suggestions, would be most welcome. Thanks!

billh99 responded:
Hold on. You are doing a 120 in 30 mph speed zone. Maybe the effect of the energy drink.

First you need an diagnose of the cause before even thinking about the treatment.

First of all there have been a number of reports of reaction and even death possibly from energy drinks. Not sure, but I think the deaths have been associated with multiple doses of energy drink in a few hours.

But the high concentration of caffeine and sugar can cause some people problems.

In any case you need to discuss this with your doctor. He might want test now (probably an exercise stress test and/or Holter monitor). Or he might want to see if you have the same problems when not using an energy drink.

As to your question ablation is used to treat certain types of irregular heart rates.

Beta blockers are sometime used to help irregular heart rates, but sometimes make them worse. It is manly used to reduce the heart output for people who have damaged hearts. And it can be used for high BP, usually only after other meds have not worked.

I belong to a group of athletic people who also have heart conditions. Some have had ablation, some are on beat blockers, others have had valve replacements, heart attacks, bypasses, pacemakers, etc. And they are still active and many are winning races or setting new Personal Best.

Helpful Tips

Don't be afraid...you're not alone
For all who stumble upon this thread, I can feel the pain of trying to quit (and yes, quitting smoking will probably solve all the problems ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center