Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

how long before exercise reduces HBP?
An_250049 posted:
I am a 45 yr old. I was diagnosed with HBP, in November 2012. I had been flirting with it for some time, but my ambulatory test showed average readings through the day at 160/110. I am non-smoker, no family history of HBP, and light moderate drinker although very much liking caffeine.

I took immediate action by going off work for two weeks. I changed my diet, reduced the salt to minimum and reduced fat intake, stopped any alcohol and caffeine I also started to exercise initially long walks, at medium pace, and some bike riding. I had been exercising regularly (swimming 3x a week) until 3 years ago when a new job meant more work and less exercise time.

Since then I had two BP checks. On the first, I asked to delay going on medication to see if diet and exercise would work. The first monthly check up showed improvement, 150/90 on average, but the suggestion was to go on medication. (My own monitoring was showing mid 140s/ low 90s high 80s) I tried one more month of intensive work, upping my exercise to 30 minutes of running. Two weeks ago, I had the BP check and the lowest of 3 was 142/92. My own monitoring was showing mid low 140s and low 90s high 80s. The lowest was 129/83.

I am now on lisinopril 2.5mg for last 5 days with another BP check in 3 weeks. My BP is now lower, on average high 130s/ low 90s high 80s lowest has been 129/79 highest has been 147/97.
In that time, I have lost nearly 30lbs. Roughly 207 to 177. My resting pulse is in mid low 60s down from mid high 80s. However, my BP is not getting much lower.

How much time do I need for diet and exercise to show a marked effect? Should I be content with the underlying trend downward and see what happens in a month or should I go back to my doctor to increase the lisinopril?

hbpukreader responded:
I forgot to add I am 5'10" and my BMI has gone from 29.2 to 25.3 since the first HBP diagnosis.

billh99 replied to hbpukreader's response:
Congratulations on the weight loss.

No expert responds in this forum.

IIRC studies on the effects of exercise usually run 3-12 months.

And studies have shown that adding resistance exercise give an added improvement in controlling BP.

hbpukreader replied to billh99's response:
Thanks for the response. I was not aware of the studies.I had had looked on the internet, but only found studies talking about the benefits of exercise and the amount of time.

As I am only 2 months into the exercising, it may come with the next month of exercising. My goal is to get off the medication, if possible, although all the side benefits are good from exercise and diet.

quickword responded:
it takes a while, you didn't get where you are overnight but years, so the reverse takes time. In our case we noticed when we get liquid minerals and amino acids regularly it helps us. A good diet with different things works differently for each person, you are helping your body to a positive with each thing you do, also educate yourself in each and every step.

craigmp replied to hbpukreader's response:
I did all those things as well, and in addition, I adhered to the das diet, adding many more vegetables 7 fruit, and limited my meat consumption. I did not seee a marked improvement until my BMI dipped below 23. I am 62, and I am back to the weight I had in high school. My BP is now 115/70 in the AM, and at the worst, 130/90 at the end of a trying work day. I am off all the meds, I had terrible side eccects from every one i tried.

89pony responded:
Your sitiuation is almost identical to mine except I'm 62 yrs old and have been on ramipril and diltiazem for about 10 years now. I recently stopped taking the dilitiazem (under my doctors supervision) as an experiment. My belief is that I only have a BP problem when I have the BP monitor cuff on (white coat syndrome). How I can vary from 142/83 to 126/84 in the space of an hour over 9 readings (at home) continues to baffle me. I'm 6ft 2in 185lbs., do a brisk 40 min walk and push ups every day, don't smoke but enjoy a few martinis on the weekend.

Helpful Tips

Don't be afraid...you're not alone
For all who stumble upon this thread, I can feel the pain of trying to quit (and yes, quitting smoking will probably solve all the problems ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center