Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Measuring BP
ashok69 posted:
I monitored regularly at interval of six hours for few days.I was surprised to see the varying figures vastly for

Change in position,in bed or chair
Evening and early morning
At Publix or CVS at the same time
At doctor's office by nurse and by doctor himself
When it is cold (say 52*F) and when hot (say 75*F)
Immediately after and before some work in garden.
With shirt sleeve on and off
Changing RT and LT hands

I wonder how can I believe measurements of BP !
ASHOK

kpandersen responded:
Hello ASHOK,

Don't be surprised that your BP is always changing due to posture, time of day, if and when a Doc is present, when the temperature is different, etc. That is the whole point of your BP. It's designed to adjust as needed depending on your mood, surroundings, stress levels, have you just eaten, etc. Even differences in right and left limb are normal.

If your BP often seems elevated, and you have some concern about whether you might be hypertensive, you should ask your physician about doing an Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitoring (ABPM) study. This is designed to capture your BP throughout the day, and night, so that you have a true picture of your BP and how your body is reacting to all the factors mentioned above.

Kenny

ayc1111 replied to kpandersen's response:
Great point Kenny,
Anybody out there who is diagnosed with hypertension based on a single measurement and given meds should fire their MD immediately. -Not only is the true BP variable, but the instruments are also variable, not to mention the environmental factors cited by you.
Also, shame on the the AMA and CDC for specifying an exact figure for the "normal" blood pressure (e.g., 120/80 or 115/75).
At the least they should add plus or minus 10 for systolic and 5 for diastolic in the calculation, since no precise single measure can possibly be valid. The notion that, e.g., 121 is pre-hypertensive and 120 is normal, applied to any particular reading, is downright silly.

AYC

Helpful Tips

Student looking for Opinions
I am a student at Brown University in Providence, RI, USA doing a project on constant blood pressure monitoring. Instead of using a blood ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center