Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Measuring BP
ashok69 posted:
I monitored regularly at interval of six hours for few days.I was surprised to see the varying figures vastly for

Change in position,in bed or chair
Evening and early morning
At Publix or CVS at the same time
At doctor's office by nurse and by doctor himself
When it is cold (say 52*F) and when hot (say 75*F)
Immediately after and before some work in garden.
With shirt sleeve on and off
Changing RT and LT hands

I wonder how can I believe measurements of BP !
ASHOK

billh99 responded:
Actually that is good. Blood pressure needs to change to meet the demand of the body. For example when standing more pressure is need to get blood to the brain then when laying down.

The standard requires you to be setting in a chair with a back and your feet on the floor. And that the being tested should be at heart level. And you should be quiet for 5 minutes.

Note that a difference in BP between the arm can indicate a health problem. See
http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/different-blood-pressure-in-right-and-left-arms-could-signal-trouble-201202014174

Many body functions change during the day and BP is one of them. On the average it should be higher in the morning then in the evening.

The best way to monitor you BP is to take it at the same time once in the morning and once at night and keep track of it.

Helpful Tips

Blood pressure
I would like to know what couph medicine I can take with out my blood pressure going up. My dr gave me a inhaler, but sometimes it's not ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center