Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Just curious
An_251003 posted:
Hey there,

First and foremost, I've already made an appointment with the doctor in regards to this subject matter. I'm just curious as to what the people here(hopefully some professionals) might have to say about this.

I'm 31 and yes, I was fat. Still am, but less-so. When I began my weight-loss journey, only 2.5 months ago, my blood pressure was hovering around the lower stage 1 hypertension levels. Now, here I am down over 30 lbs, exercising 5-6 days per week at the gym(Cardio/Weight/Circuit Training) in addition to hikes that maintain a BPM of 140-160for 1-2 hours. The gym sessions are a mix of cardio and weight training or circuit days. On the diet side, it has improved greatly! Cutting out most processed foods, eating balanced meals. Obviously a cheat meal now and then so I don't crave and crave and wind up on a binge, but overall, my diet is awesome.

Taking all this into consideration, it's surprising to ind out yesterday via my diet and exercise coach during our monthly measurements and whatnot that my blood pressure has spiked into high levels of stage 2 hypertension, in both systolic and diastolic pressures.

I'm curious if anyone has a theory of what's causing this??

I have a couple theories. My stress levels in life have increased as of late. Financial issues that I'm trying to work out. But beyond that, I'm a fairly relaxed person.

My other theory is in relation to water consumption. When I was younger I drank between 4-6 litres of water per day. My doctor warned me about issues associated with that. Problems for the heart. So, I cut that back. But recently, with my increased physical activity, my thirst and therefore water consumption has increased back towards 4 litres of water. I'm curious if this might be a contributing factor as well? I feel like I'm not over-drinking the water, since I'm perspiring a great deal during my workouts.

Thank you for any responses you post.

Cheers.

billh99 responded:
Personally I am very sensitive to stress and will often mind that my BP will increase "without cause" and then when I review my situation I find that there is something that I am ignoring that is stressing me. When I start addressing the issue my BP will drop.

It is possible that with the sweating and extra water that your electrolytes might be a little out of whack.

I don't know about this, but I am wondering out loud that the possibility is that your body has not adjusted to level of exercise. And that you might not be recovering between sessions.

An_251003 replied to billh99's response:
Thanks Bill,

I never thought about the electrolyte imbalance. Something I'll definitely have to discuss with my Doctor.

In regards to recovery, I used to be an athlete until a big injury caused me to become sedentary for a number of years that was a contributing factor to my initial weight-gain. Taking the lessons learned from all the trainers I've worked with in the past, I'm fairly in tune with my body as far as knowing when I'm pushing too hard and require rest. When I'm feeling fatigued, I'll either switch up the exercise for the day or just go for a walk instead. Not an all out stopping of the physical activity, just something low-impact.

My guess is that I'll have to find my main stresser in my life and figure out a way to cope with it with as little worry as possible. Curiosity may have killed the cat, but I refuse to let worry kill me.

Helpful Tips

Tool to track your blood pressure
Hi, I have a friend who has high blood pressure as does pretty much his whole family. His doctor asks them to regularly take their bp and ... More
Was this Helpful?
46 of 63 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center