Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

171/117, 24yr-old, amphetamines ADHD
An_251212 posted:
I am a 24 year old female and have been experiencing very high blood pressure for about a month now. It has been creeping up, however, over the last 2-3 years.
My most recent reading from earlier tonight (home cuff reading) was 171/117. I literally just took it again after I typed that sentence and it is now registering 178/116.

I know this is out of control and am meeting with my new (and first) internal medicine doctor this Friday. (Today is Sunday). I am obviously going to go on medication for this problem because it's necessary, but I was hoping to get some input from this community about which medicine might be best for me.

I have been prescribed amphetamines for ADHD for about 11 years now, and my current dose (which is so high because I've been on the medicine so long) is 60mg vyvanse once a day, and 20mg instant adderall twice a day (generic D-amphetamine salt combo--maybe switching to non-generic would have less salt? I don't know).

My internist has already suggested lowering this dose if I can, but it's my first year of law school and I can assure you, I will not be lowering my dose.
But, I am curious as to what blood pressure medications interact best with this ADHD medication without inhibiting their effects. Google doesn't seem to offer much help with these questions. Also because I am so young, I want to choose something that I will be able to maybe continue taking if and when I become pregnant (I won't be taking the amphetamines once that happens so maybe I won't need the BPmeds then, but just in case I still do).

Any knowledgeable input is appreciated! Thank you!

Helpful Tips

Don't be afraid...you're not alone
For all who stumble upon this thread, I can feel the pain of trying to quit (and yes, quitting smoking will probably solve all the problems ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center