Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

High blood pressure numbers
Anon_179743 posted:
My husband is 52 years old, don't drink or smoke,has high blood
pressure and type 2 diabetes. For his diabetes his medications he takes Metformin 1,000 MG 1 tablet twice a day. He also takes Glipizide 10 MG 1 tablet twice a day 30 minutes before eating.His blood pressure medication is the following..Hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 MG one pill a day.Next he takes Amlodipne Besylate 10 Mg tablet, Benazeperil HCL tablet 1 pill a day and 1 aspirin a day. His blood pressure top number stays in the 160's to 170's and bottom numbers are mid 90's to 101 average a week. After he takes his blood pressure medications his numbers will drop to (top numbers) low 120's and top numbers from the mid 70's to mid 80's just for a few hours then his numbers go back to the high range.He says he feels fine but he wakes up in the middle of the night with headaches 1-2 times a week. His weight is 227 LBS, watches what he eats and walks 1 hour or more every day.His family doctor says nothing to be worried about and say remarks he gets from his Endocrinologist.Should he get a second opinion? I am worried about his numbers. Thanks for your time reading my question.

Anon_320 responded:
I don't understand why your husband's doctor isn't concerned about his blood pressure, especially since he also has diabetes. Here's an article about the dangers of high blood pressure in diabetics.

Maybe you should take all of your husband's medications to a pharmacist and see what he/she says. There may be interactions among the drugs that are making some of them ineffective.

I do think he should be seen by another doctor if his current one is blowing this off.

billh99 responded:
You might try to get his doctors to order an ambulatory blood pressure test. That is an portable BP monitor that he will wear for 24 hrs. That will show the doctors what his BP is doing over the day (& night).

Also studies have shown that taking at least one BP med at night gives better BP control over the day.

But he does not want to take the HCTZ at night as that is a diuretic and may wake him at night.

Since the meds seem to work for several hours then he might talk to his doctor about taking smaller doses several times a day.

Helpful Tips

Blood pressure
I would like to know what couph medicine I can take with out my blood pressure going up. My dr gave me a inhaler, but sometimes it's not ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center