Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Blood pressure - doctor has me on medication but it is now too low
SavingGranny posted:
I have never had issues with blood pressure but about a month ago I had chest pain and went to the ER where my blood pressure was high (normally I am 110/70 and that night it was 140/90) so they gave me some lopressor and at 2 am it was 85/46! I didn't take any more after that. Went to doctor a week after that and it was 130/85. Doctor didn't say anything at that time. Two weeks later, I was in ER for a severe 2nd degree burn on my arm and it was elevated (142/86) but nothing was said in ER. Went to doctor for him to check on my arm and blood work from the first ER visit and my BP was 152/95 so he put me on 20 mg of lisinopril. Since then, my BP has been low (99/66 this morning with a heart rate of 48). It was 119/64 before lunch. I am concerned that I don't need to be on this medication any more. Should I just not take it, or take it every other day, until I see him in 3 weeks?

billh99 responded:
No medical professional responds in this forum.

I typically take my BP twice a day, in the morning and evening. Personally I know my body well enough and have enough confidence that I will experiment with adjust my lisinopril for a couple of weeks and then showing the doctor a record of BP and sometimes make the changes permanent.

I know that I am sensitive to stress and that will raise my BP. I had nasal surgery, and while the pain was not bad, I was MISERABLE from the continous discharge the first few days. And my BP went way up. And since I had earlier been on higher dose of lisinopril I upped my dose for a couple of days.

I am surprised that put you on lopressor the first time when you when to ER.

First of 140/90 is the lowest where they start treating high BP. And the standard is that to diagnose high BP that there has to be high readings at two separate visits. (Except for sever high BP which can be an emergency if not treated immediately, but you where far far from that).

Also the current recommendations show that beta-blockers (lopressor) are not to be the first choice for BP control and only used if others don't work.

Low blood pressure (below 90/50) is not a problem unless you are also have symptoms such as weakness, lightheaded, or dizziness. Likewise with a low HR.

The Gold Standard used to determine hypertension is a 24 hr ambulatory BP monitor test. That is a wearable BP monitor that will record your BP every 15-30 minutes.

The 2nd best is a log of home BP readings taken at home over a week or two. But the meter and the way that you use it should be checked by the doctor.

The least accurate way is readings in the doctors office on 2 separate visits.

And for an accurate reading you should be seated in a chair with a back and your feet on the floor, not on an exam table.

While I have not said yes or no, I hope that I have given you some information to use.

Helpful Tips

garlic oil
I've started taking 2 "garlic oil perles" along with my regular meds (metoperol, lisinopril. nefedipine) and my pressure has dropped 25 ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center