Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

? about b./p
bigbearmurse posted:
I'm on Atenolol 50 mg twice a day, and later this evening my b/p was 992/84....when I laid down, I got dizzy and was concerned...I just rechecked my b/p and it was 130/75. That's not bad, but is my dosage kind of high? It's been an up and down yo yo and I'm frustrated! Anyone?

billh99 responded:
Note - no medical professional responds in this forum.

According to RxList.com 50 to 100 mg of Atenolol is the standard dosage for high blood pressure. And it can be higher for treating heart problems.

this evening my b/p was 992/84.

That looks like a typo, but if it was 99/84 then you would only have 15 points of pulse pressure and that might be too low to make sure that blood is feeding all of the body.

Atenolol is a bets blocker and current recommendation are that beta blockers are not the best first choice for high BP and are only used if if other classes of BP meds don't work or not enough control.

However beta blockers can also be used if there are other heart concerns.

Talk to your doctor about your symptoms and ask if maybe a different class of medicine might be better for you. The common classes of BP meds are diuretics, ACEihibitors/ABR, and calcium channel blockers.

Helpful Tips

garlic oil
I've started taking 2 "garlic oil perles" along with my regular meds (metoperol, lisinopril. nefedipine) and my pressure has dropped 25 ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center