Spikes in blood pressure
tmmusiclady posted:
My mom has been on blood pressure meds for 20 years and has really had it under control. She eats very little sodium, saturated fat or sugar. Recently she has had problems with her blood pressure spiking unnervingly to 204/120, which for her is VERY high. She doesn't take any ibuprofen, antihistamines, decongestants, or any other drug that could spike her blood pressure. She also drinks decaffeinated coffee. She has asthma, but only uses her inhaler when the asthma is really bad. She doesn;t have sleep apnea, as she doesn't sleep much at all because of arthritis pain (but she won't take any pain killers). She's 84 years old and other than that, her health is as good as can be expected. These spikes come at random times of the day, with no warning except a headache. Then, she feels really weak and lethargic. She is not a worrier so stress isn't a factor. I could really use some suggestions about what may be causing this. I have had her keeping track of what she eats and when, and that doesn't matter. Anyone out there have any insight or wisdom that I can pass along to her? Thank you.

billh99 responded:

The lack of sleep is a problem and it cause high BP problems, but I don't know it would be cause spiking.

Two thing that people have reported in this forum that caused them spiking BP. One is adrenal gland tumor. The other is blocked kidney arteries.
[a style="cursor: pointer; color: rgb(0, 102, 153);" onclick="LoginCreatePost(this,'hypertension-and-high-blood-pressure-exchange','3'); return false;" class="template-reply-post" id="exchange-post-enabled_A8">