Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Lisinopril and potassium
tryingtohelp39 posted:
Hello all! 2 weeks ago my doctor started me on lisonopril 5mg/once a day for mild hypertension. I have a history of severe hypertension on my father's side of the family so she is being cautious by trying to catch it early. Yesterday I had lab work done. Lab showed potassium level at 5.3mEQ/L. Normal lab range is 3.9 to 5.1mEQ/L. My last reading before lisinopril was 4.7mEQ/L.

So this reading is slightly elevated. My doctor isn't worried about it but I am! I am 44 years old and have normal kidney function. How high can I expect my potassium to go because of lisinopril? Will drinking more water help to eliminate the excess? Am I in danger here? I thought these drugs were safe and are considered life saving medications but now I'm worried. I also take 40mg propranolol 2 times a day. I have taken that medicine for almost 20 years to help control anxiety. Of course it's also beneficial for blood pressure.

billh99 responded:
No medical profession responds in this forum so you will likely not get a direct answer to your question.

There is a very wide variation from person to person and how they respond to a med. I checked my labs reports and have been on as high as 40 mg lisinopril and now 10 mg. My potassium level as gone down slightly, not increased.

And I have learned from my doctors that instead of lab readings being labeled Normal range, it is more accurate to call them Typical ranges.

And that a single reading slightly out of range is, in general, not a problem. But rather it is more of a concern when there is a pattern of several parameters that are out of range.

From Mayo

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hyperkalemia/MY00940

Your blood potassium level is normally 3.6 to 5.2 millimoles per liter (mmol/L). Having a blood potassium level higher than 7.0 mmol/L can be dangerous and requires immediate treatment

Often, a report of high blood potassium isn't true hyperkalemia. Instead it may be caused by the rupture of blood cells in the blood sample during or shortly after the blood draw. The ruptured cells leak their potassium into the sample. This falsely raises the amount of potassium in the blood sample, even though the potassium level in your body is actually normal. When this is suspected, a repeat blood sample is done.

And more info from WebMD

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/potassium-k-in-blood

Helpful Tips

Blood pressure
I would like to know what couph medicine I can take with out my blood pressure going up. My dr gave me a inhaler, but sometimes it's not ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center