Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Cause of high BP in very healthy man
An_251854 posted:
My boyfriend suffered from very high blood pressure for about 8 years due to an adrenal tumor. It would average about 190/130. He started taking meds in December to get it under control and had the tumor removed in February. After the surgery, his blood pressure dropped to the normal range for about two weeks, but has crept back up to the high 160s/90s. They tested his adrenal hormones and found them to be normal. He is 30 yrs old, in the healthy weight range and he has a manual labor job that requires him to be up and walking around about 4 hrs a day on average. He has a pretty good diet that includes lots of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. He eats little prepackaged food and doesn't use much salt. What could be the cause of the high blood pressure? The dr just wants him to take meds, but we are worried that there is a serious underlying problem that needs to be addressed. Any thoughts?

billh99 responded:
In most cases of hypertension them is no specific causes and is called "essential hypertension".

In addition to what you mentioned (diet, weight & exercise) stress can also cause high BP. Some people are more prone to this than others. And sometime the stress can be "hidden".

Also another cause can be sleep apnea. He needs to talk to his doctor about this and see if that might be a possibility.

In general physical causes are not common and not looked unless the BP is very high, not affected by meds, or have other symptoms.

But with his history he might talk to his doctor about the possibily of other causes. Ones that I have heard about is thyroid, blocked kidney arteries (and maybe other kidney problems), and lung issues.

Helpful Tips

Don't be afraid...you're not alone
For all who stumble upon this thread, I can feel the pain of trying to quit (and yes, quitting smoking will probably solve all the problems ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center