Skip to content

Announcements

Home Blood Pressure Monitors: Tracking Made Easier

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

Type of Doctor
richja523 posted:
For a number of reasons, I am switching my primary care provider. I am interested in what type of doctor is best for someone diagnosed with Hypertension -- Family Practice or Internist? Any thoughts?

billh99 responded:
I have never seen an internist, except for cardiologist who start as internist and then have a sub-specialty in cardiology.

In theory the internist would have an edge over FP doctors.

But it my opinion that 98.5% of it is the individual doctor and not their background.

One that will listen to you and will explain the treatment. And why a meds is prescribed and what to expect.

Rather than one that does not say anything and just hands you a prescriptions and you don't even know what it is until you get it filled.

SleeplessinChicago responded:
I believe that a cardiologist would be your best bet. I switched from a "trial and error" "know nothing" GP to a cardiologist and have been impressed so far.

Helpful Tips

White Coat BP tip
Everyone is different. I showed this. I quit drinking coffee on mornings when I go to the Dr. or when doing BP test. You can have coffee ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful