Skip to content


Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Type of Doctor
richja523 posted:
For a number of reasons, I am switching my primary care provider. I am interested in what type of doctor is best for someone diagnosed with Hypertension -- Family Practice or Internist? Any thoughts?
billh99 responded:
I have never seen an internist, except for cardiologist who start as internist and then have a sub-specialty in cardiology.

In theory the internist would have an edge over FP doctors.

But it my opinion that 98.5% of it is the individual doctor and not their background.

One that will listen to you and will explain the treatment. And why a meds is prescribed and what to expect.

Rather than one that does not say anything and just hands you a prescriptions and you don't even know what it is until you get it filled.
SleeplessinChicago responded:
I believe that a cardiologist would be your best bet. I switched from a "trial and error" "know nothing" GP to a cardiologist and have been impressed so far.

Helpful Tips

Variation in Blood Pressure
When I wake up in the morning my BP is high 158/100 with pulse rate 75. In 30 minutes or so it reduces to 138/ 82 with pulse rate of 68. ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center