Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

HBP, Meds work at times, but not sure what's
An_252144 posted:
34 Male, overweight, sleep apnea, and was diagnosed with HBP two years ago. Was but on Benicar HCT, but that didn't work then I was put on Tribenzor. The doctor said it worked because he alway said my BP was normal when I was in his office, but At home my home monitor ready I was always a little higher. W/o the meds I live in 160/100 territory. W/meds I range from 122/87 to 144/98 On average I'm around 130ish over mid 80ish. I've been losing weigh, from almost 280 down to 261 with a wat to go, but should I switch drugs? are there better ones? I Have notice an impact on erections, Web info said it is normal side effect of HCT and amlodipine, but that Benicar actually would help counter that. So I'm afraid or changing away from Benicar, but I don't know what else is out there..

billh99 responded:
Note - no medical professional normally responds in this forum.

From your comments I think that you might know what is in the meds, but I am not sure.

Benicar HCT = Olmesartan (an ABR) HCT (a diuretic)

Tribenzor = Olmesartan HCT Amlodipine (a calcium channel blocker)

I don't know what doses you are taking, but these combo pills are only available in a few dosages. Each of those 3 ingredients are available as individual pills and thus there are more options for amount of dosing of each one.

Also studies have shown that BP control is better if at least one of the meds is taken at night. But you don't want to take the diuretic at night.

There are two other commonly used classes of BP meds.

ACE inhibitors - in general it is thought that they are more effective than ABR's. But the ABR's are used for people that can't tolerate the side effects of ACE inhibitors.

Beta Blockers - they used to be the standard for BP control, but are not that effective and now used if the other meds don't work.

Sleep apnea leads to high blood pressure and weight gain. Are you doing anything about that or waiting until you lose the weight.

Regular exercise helps also help reduce blood pressure along with helping with the weight loss.

All that said your BP, while not ideal, is not that bad.

If you have not done so have your BP machine verified by your doctor. You don't need to see the doctor, just ask to see the nurse. And have you take your BP with your machine and then see takes it.

And you might talk to the doctor about getting an ambulatory BP test. That is a wearable BP machine that will take you BP every 15-30 minutes for 24 hours.

Some people have "white coat" hypertension where it is higher in doctors office and some have it reversed. The ambulatory test is the best way to determine what it is really doing over the day.

Helpful Tips

Blood pressure
I would like to know what couph medicine I can take with out my blood pressure going up. My dr gave me a inhaler, but sometimes it's not ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center