Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

New to trying to manage high blood pressure
An_252874 posted:
I was diagnosed in 2010 but did not take it seriously. Well it is now 2013 and because I did not take my blood pressure seriously I have developed neuropathic nerve pain in both my legs. My blood pressure is still high and I am taking my meds daily. They even added another med. It scares me now cause it will not go down fast enough. So I am going to try the DASH Diet along with my meds to see if this will help. Has anyone ever tried this diet and have had success with that can give me any inside information on how it worked for them? Was it hard to maintain? Any tips on if it helped them out in lowing there blood pressure?

An_251027 responded:
Bystolic was good for me. It gets rate and pressure under control. It will allow you to try to get used to better habits of eating and exercise too.

billh99 responded:
It is really not a "diet", but more of a lifestyle.

Without looking it up I don't remember the specific details. But it is similar to the Mediterranean and other "healthy" diet.

Minimize fried, "manufacture", and prepared foods. Minimize sugars, starches, and refined grains.

Eat lots of fruits and veggies.

Eat lean protein - poultry, lean beef/pork, fish, low fat diary, and beans.

Get good fats from olive & canola oils, nuts & seeds, and avocado's.

Eat mostly whole grains.

In addition lose weight, if needed.

And exercise is great for helping control BP. Both aerobic and strength. Both exercising and losing weight can take several months, but low risk and lots of long term benefits.

Helpful Tips

garlic oil
I've started taking 2 "garlic oil perles" along with my regular meds (metoperol, lisinopril. nefedipine) and my pressure has dropped 25 ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 32 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center