Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

high blood pressure
An_253057 posted:
My husband has high blood pressure and he is take four different pills for it. My problem is that at night his blood pressure seems to go up and he gets up and takes another pill, I said that this is not normal because sometimes he can take up to triple the dosage of what's on the bottle. I have ask him to talk to his primary care doctor or his kidney doctor(oh yeah he is also a dialysis patient) because his medicine is not regulating his BP. Or is the kidney medicine cancelling out the BP medicine? I don't know what to do short of calling his doctor myself but I figure that would go against the DOCTOR/PATIENT confidentiality.

billh99 responded:
There are different class of BP meds. An overdose on some might not have serious effects.

Some others would be serious.

And they also drastically affect electrolyte balances, which I think are critical with kidney problems.

You are right, that due to confidentiality rules the doctor can't talk to you without your husbands permission.

But there is no rule that keeps them from LISTENING to you.

When you talk make sure that start off by saying that you know that they can't discuss your husband condition, but you have some information that might be important for them to know.

I have done similar in the past when talking to social services about a child that I knew.

But it is possible that when he filled out the normal paper work that he check to allow his spouse to be informed of his condition. But even if he did his doctors might be reluctant to discuss it with you.

Also ask to go along to his next appointment.

It might be easier to pass this on to the nurses at his dialysis.

tlavitta01 replied to billh99's response:
Thanks we did get in to see his doctor finally ans he did adjust his medicine and goes to see his kidney doctor tomorrow. so thank you

Helpful Tips

garlic oil
I've started taking 2 "garlic oil perles" along with my regular meds (metoperol, lisinopril. nefedipine) and my pressure has dropped 25 ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center