Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    high blood pressure
    An_253057 posted:
    My husband has high blood pressure and he is take four different pills for it. My problem is that at night his blood pressure seems to go up and he gets up and takes another pill, I said that this is not normal because sometimes he can take up to triple the dosage of what's on the bottle. I have ask him to talk to his primary care doctor or his kidney doctor(oh yeah he is also a dialysis patient) because his medicine is not regulating his BP. Or is the kidney medicine cancelling out the BP medicine? I don't know what to do short of calling his doctor myself but I figure that would go against the DOCTOR/PATIENT confidentiality.
    billh99 responded:
    There are different class of BP meds. An overdose on some might not have serious effects.

    Some others would be serious.

    And they also drastically affect electrolyte balances, which I think are critical with kidney problems.

    You are right, that due to confidentiality rules the doctor can't talk to you without your husbands permission.

    But there is no rule that keeps them from LISTENING to you.

    When you talk make sure that start off by saying that you know that they can't discuss your husband condition, but you have some information that might be important for them to know.

    I have done similar in the past when talking to social services about a child that I knew.

    But it is possible that when he filled out the normal paper work that he check to allow his spouse to be informed of his condition. But even if he did his doctors might be reluctant to discuss it with you.

    Also ask to go along to his next appointment.

    It might be easier to pass this on to the nurses at his dialysis.
    tlavitta01 replied to billh99's response:
    Thanks we did get in to see his doctor finally ans he did adjust his medicine and goes to see his kidney doctor tomorrow. so thank you

    Helpful Tips

    3 reasons your iPhone is better than pen and paper for tracking blood pressure
    1. Reminders to help you never miss a reading! When you track your blood pressure (BP) with an App, it's always with you. You can ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center