Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Should I see a Dr.?
    An_253705 posted:
    Last week I failed the blood pressure test at my Husband's Employer's Health Assessment. We (the spouses and employees) have to show up for cholesterol screenings, blood pressure, glucose, height, weight, waist circumference and a few other items. As an obese woman with a BMI of 50-I knew I failed but, was surprised at my blood pressure-1st reading was 144/111 by machine but, the 2nd reading by large cuff was 150/114. I had to sign a sheet saying that I would get medical treatment for my high blood pressure but, I think my recent stress has caused a temporary episode. My Father-in-law is dying in a nursing home and we nearly lost him last week. Other family members have told me to "butt out" and let the family take care of him during his final days. We got into a terrible fight (words only) and now no one is speaking to each other. Now I have tingling in my left arm and hand into the fingers and this morning I got up with a severe headache. I really don't want to see my NP because she will just repeat the free tests that I had done last week and she will charge me hundreds of dollars for the same info. I'm unemployed and don't have any money coming in-I would have to borrow money from my husband and he doesn't have any extra $$ either. What can I do on my own?

    Take the Poll

    Should I see a doctor for high blood pressure?
    • No
    • Yes
    • Try something else
    • Try relaxation techniques
    • Sleep a lot and don't worry about it
    View Poll Results
    billh99 responded:
    A diastolic BP of over 110 is very concerning. As is the headache and tingling in the arm.

    These can be caused by stress. But they can also be symptoms of serious problems that need urgent treatment.

    I really don't want to see my NP because she will just repeat the free tests that I had done last week and she will charge me hundreds of dollars for the same info

    It is not info that you need, but treatment and possibly other testing such as a stress test.

    While it might be costly, but not near as much as a stroke or heart attack.

    Helpful Tips

    3 reasons your iPhone is better than pen and paper for tracking blood pressure
    1. Reminders to help you never miss a reading! When you track your blood pressure (BP) with an App, it's always with you. You can ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center