Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Should I see a Dr.?
An_253705 posted:
Last week I failed the blood pressure test at my Husband's Employer's Health Assessment. We (the spouses and employees) have to show up for cholesterol screenings, blood pressure, glucose, height, weight, waist circumference and a few other items. As an obese woman with a BMI of 50-I knew I failed but, was surprised at my blood pressure-1st reading was 144/111 by machine but, the 2nd reading by large cuff was 150/114. I had to sign a sheet saying that I would get medical treatment for my high blood pressure but, I think my recent stress has caused a temporary episode. My Father-in-law is dying in a nursing home and we nearly lost him last week. Other family members have told me to "butt out" and let the family take care of him during his final days. We got into a terrible fight (words only) and now no one is speaking to each other. Now I have tingling in my left arm and hand into the fingers and this morning I got up with a severe headache. I really don't want to see my NP because she will just repeat the free tests that I had done last week and she will charge me hundreds of dollars for the same info. I'm unemployed and don't have any money coming in-I would have to borrow money from my husband and he doesn't have any extra $$ either. What can I do on my own?

Take the Poll

Should I see a doctor for high blood pressure?
  • No
  • Yes
  • Try something else
  • Try relaxation techniques
  • Sleep a lot and don't worry about it
vote
View Poll Results

billh99 responded:
A diastolic BP of over 110 is very concerning. As is the headache and tingling in the arm.

These can be caused by stress. But they can also be symptoms of serious problems that need urgent treatment.

I really don't want to see my NP because she will just repeat the free tests that I had done last week and she will charge me hundreds of dollars for the same info

It is not info that you need, but treatment and possibly other testing such as a stress test.

While it might be costly, but not near as much as a stroke or heart attack.

Helpful Tips

High Blood Pressure/Weight Loss
Lossing a significant amount of weight will help your blood pressure go down and possibly get you off of your medication. I know people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center