Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up

Should I see a Dr.?
An_253705 posted:
Last week I failed the blood pressure test at my Husband's Employer's Health Assessment. We (the spouses and employees) have to show up for cholesterol screenings, blood pressure, glucose, height, weight, waist circumference and a few other items. As an obese woman with a BMI of 50-I knew I failed but, was surprised at my blood pressure-1st reading was 144/111 by machine but, the 2nd reading by large cuff was 150/114. I had to sign a sheet saying that I would get medical treatment for my high blood pressure but, I think my recent stress has caused a temporary episode. My Father-in-law is dying in a nursing home and we nearly lost him last week. Other family members have told me to "butt out" and let the family take care of him during his final days. We got into a terrible fight (words only) and now no one is speaking to each other. Now I have tingling in my left arm and hand into the fingers and this morning I got up with a severe headache. I really don't want to see my NP because she will just repeat the free tests that I had done last week and she will charge me hundreds of dollars for the same info. I'm unemployed and don't have any money coming in-I would have to borrow money from my husband and he doesn't have any extra $$ either. What can I do on my own?

Take the Poll

Should I see a doctor for high blood pressure?
  • No
  • Yes
  • Try something else
  • Try relaxation techniques
  • Sleep a lot and don't worry about it
View Poll Results
billh99 responded:
A diastolic BP of over 110 is very concerning. As is the headache and tingling in the arm.

These can be caused by stress. But they can also be symptoms of serious problems that need urgent treatment.

I really don't want to see my NP because she will just repeat the free tests that I had done last week and she will charge me hundreds of dollars for the same info

It is not info that you need, but treatment and possibly other testing such as a stress test.

While it might be costly, but not near as much as a stroke or heart attack.

Helpful Tips

Salt or Sugar: What’s the Bigger Blood Pressure Threat?
Your pantry can be seen as a kind of medicine cabinet in your kitchen. Every ingredient contained behind its doors is a contributing factor ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center