Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

How long the high Blood Pressure medication takes time to work?
Dhingli001 posted:
Hello everybody,

My father has high BP. And he been to doctor and he started having his BP medication for past week and half. He is currently taking two medication.

I was just wondering how long does it take time for the high blood pressure medication to work?

If somebody can help me out to find out I can provide with his details.

Thank you!

billh99 responded:
The are a several of different classes of BP meds and a many meds within each class.

Some can take effect within a few hours. Others take longer. Maybe 2-4 weeks.

Your pharmacist, who knows exactly what meds he is on, might give a more explicit answer.

If not call your doctors office and asks to speak to his nurse and ask this.

BTW, lifestyle changes (diet, weight loss, and exercise) typically take 3 or more months to have effect.

Helpful Tips

Blood pressure
I would like to know what couph medicine I can take with out my blood pressure going up. My dr gave me a inhaler, but sometimes it's not ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center