Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Fast onset of high bp
tigger2869 posted:
I recently lost 40 lbs started exercising and eating right, I have been doing this since January 2013. I was on 2 b/p meds and have been off regular bp has been 126/90. Yesterday wasn't feeling right took bp it was 171/100, what would cause spike? I called doc took 5mg norvasc came down a little 158/98, later 142/90 went to bed wake up bp 158/98. Waiting for doc to call but what would cause this.

billh99 responded:
If you are "coming down" with something that can raise BP.

Personally I am very sensitive to stress. Several times I have notice that my BP was high for no apparent reason. Then realized that there had been an very minor issue that I had been putting off. As soon as I realized this and made specific plans to work on the issue the BP dropped.

tigger2869 replied to billh99's response:
Work has always been stressful but I guess this particular problem is weighing on me more than I realize. My dos also said this is situational. I see her on Tuesday but she has been calling me all weekend to check on me.

billh99 replied to tigger2869's response:
I forgot to compliment you on the loss of weight and the improved lifestyle.

Also I am glad that you have such an attentive doctor.

Helpful Tips

Don't be afraid...you're not alone
For all who stumble upon this thread, I can feel the pain of trying to quit (and yes, quitting smoking will probably solve all the problems ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center