Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Blood pressure of 155/90 on a 22 year old
An_254524 posted:
Hello,

I have been measuring my blood pressure for the past month and it has consistently been in the range of 130 - 155. I am 22 and 170lb. I went to the doctor 2 months ago and my BP at that time was 121/80. So the recent onset of hypertension is fairy concerning especially since I once measure 158 diastolic. I do have a little anxiety but even when I measure when I am completely relaxed and stress free; it still comes up as around 145. I know alcohol consumption can also cause an elevation in blood pressure. Should I wait another month and cut out alcohol and minimize salt intake and see if it improves? Or is my is my high blood pressure serous and should I seek a cardiologist and do a stress test to rule out a heart defect?

billh99 responded:
No medical professional normally responds in this forum.

Stress/anxiety can certainly raise BP. I am particular sensitive to this problem. And sometime I don't even recognize that I am stressing about something.

One time my BP was elevated for a couple of days and did not think that anything was going on. But them after thinking about it some more I realized that I been putting off starting on a project. Now this project was a gift to a family member and there was no specific deadline.

But as soon as I realized this and started making specific plans and getting materials my BP went back to normal.

And it stayed normal even as I "stressed" more trying to solve some of the problems in making this gift. However, that "stress" was known and I knew that will would be able to work out the details in making the gift.

I have no idea if you are similarly affected, but something to think about.

In most people moderate alcohol consumption (1-2 drinks a day or male, 1 for a woman) has little effect on BP and sometime can even reduce it slightly.

For many people, that don't have other problems such as kidney disease or heart failure high salt consumption is not a problem, but some people are sensitive to salt and it can raise BP.

But probably a more common problem is the low ratio of potassium intake to sodium. Commonly that is due to too few fruits and vegies and too much processed food.

Losing weight if needed can help reduce BP.

As well as exercise.

The range of BP that you are mentioning is not critical, but high enough that it does needed to be looked at.

At your age, depending on any other health issues that you might have and family history, it likely that the doctor would suggest lifestyle changes before treating it with medicines.

Here is a list of 7 simple habits, that if you follow them, will help control BP, reduce the likely hood of heart disease, cancer, and other problems as you get older.

http://mylifecheck.heart.org/Default.aspx?NavID=1&CultureCode=en-US

And I would add an 8th. If you think that you are easily stressed out (or people around you think so) or frequently have anxiety then you should look into controlling it.

There are a number of mental exercises that you can do, Relaxation Response.

Depending on how much this bothers you, then you could see a doctor about it now. But I would start with your family doctor and not a cardiologist. There are many other things that could potentially cause an increase in BP.

But you could also wait 1-2 months and see what lifestyle changes can make.

Helpful Tips

High Blood Pressure/Weight Loss
Lossing a significant amount of weight will help your blood pressure go down and possibly get you off of your medication. I know people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center