Home blood pressure machines
chopperbobby posted:
How accurate are home blood pressure contraptions?
My wife and I have been having hypertension problems, and one thing our doctor wanted is to monitor our BP daily.
The machine we bought seems to be erratic. For instance, this morning my first reading was 147/74, and as soon as that was done I did it again and it was 136/67.
For something that is so important for our health I have bad feelings about using the thing.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Bob burns

billh99 responded:
There is some natural variation from reading to reading. That is why many home machines have an option to take 3 measurements in a row and report the average.

Also many things will affect the measurements such as moving or talking.

Some professional machines that are used for research will take upto 6 measurements. It ignores the 1st one and then averages the next 5 ones.

Also certain heart rate patterns will confuse the home level machines.

Call you doctors office and make an appointment to meet with a Nurse. Bring you machine and have it compared with their measurements.

chopperbobby replied to billh99's response:
Some professional machines that are used for research will take upto 6 measurements. It ignores the 1st one and then averages the next 5 ones.
I am not sure how mine works.I'll have to check it out.

I have PVC, and the machine will detect it rarely.

Call you doctors office and make an appointment to meet with a Nurse. Bring you machine and have it compared with their measurements.
Good idea. I have a doctor's appointment next week.
Thanks for the reply.
Bob

chopperbobby replied to billh99's response:
There is some natural variation from reading to reading. That is why many home machines have an option to take 3 measurements in a row and report the average.
With my machine I can choose to take three readings, and there is sometimes a great difference between taking it once and three times both readings taken right after the other.

Also many things will affect the measurements such as moving or talking.
I do remain still during the readings.

I have PVC, and the monitor has shown that only once in about 45 times. But, the same thing happens to my wife, so I eliminated my PVC.

I did this, and the readings were 15 points difference for the systolic, and about 10 for the diastolic.

I am going to contact the manufacturer with some questions.
Bob

kjme11374 replied to chopperbobby's response:
Good idea to contact Mfr. What brand do you have? Are you consistent about the TIME OF DAY and HOW you take BP. Arm should be level with heart (I usually sit on commode and rest arm on bathroom sink.

Let us know what manufacturer says.

chopperbobby replied to kjme11374's response:
Good idea to contact Mfr. What brand do you have? Are you consistent about the TIME OF DAY and HOW you take BP. Arm should be level with heart (I usually sit on commode and rest arm on bathroom sink.
I have written an e-mail to the manufacturer, but I have not received a reply yet, but it early Monday morning.
I try to be consistent as I can. I can take a reading, and take another one immediately after it, and I will get a vastly different reading.
I won't say what the brand name is unless I don't get satisfaction from them.
I will keep you all updated.
Thanks for the reply.
Bob Burns

kjme11374 replied to chopperbobby's response:
Keep a spreadsheet....bp same time of day/location/position. In a separate column note any specifics such as "I was stressed when I took BP" etc.

I have an OMRON BP machine. Very happy with it.

Keep a spreadsheet....bp same time of day/location/position. In a separate column note any specifics such as "I was stressed when I took BP" etc.
I have no idea what a spreadsheet is, but I have been writing my readings on a sheet of paper for the last month or so.

Have you tried different ways to take your readings? Like taking them set at one time, then taking them set to three times? What about taking them 5 times in a row very quickly? I have found big differences between readings doing these things.
My machine is a Microlife.
Bob

Have you checked its accuracy? Have you compared it to your doctor's BP reading? Have you taken several readings in a row and compared the readings? Can it be set to take more than one measurement, or is it set at only one?
I am trying to see if another brand of BP machine is more reliable than mine is why I'm asking.
Bob

I have done some research on BP monitors, and what I found was that none of them seem to be consistent from reading to reading, nor do all of them agree with BPs taken by a doctor or nurse.
I think the only thing they are good for is to keep track of your progress or regress.