Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Checking blood pressure by standing
readerpoway posted:
At a recent doctor appointment the nurse had me stand after my B/P was too high sitting. It's normal for my B/P to be in the 150's range (systolic) at the doctors office. I've never been asked to stand to take my B/P in the few years I've used this medical facility. Does anyone know why B/P would be lower by standing?

bigred53 responded:
I've never heard of that. One of the reasons I think our bp may be higher at the doc's is because they rush us to get weighed and they we are rushed into a room and our bp is immediately taken. IMO that's why it's higher than normal. We need to be able to sit there and relax for a few minutes before it's taken.

Do you have your own bp monitor? I've got one and I have experimented on when I take it. If I take it right after sitting down it is always higher that if I'm able to relax for a few minutes.

Occasionally my doctor will re-take my bp after I've relaxed and we've talked for a while - it's always lower than when the nurse has taken it.

Michelle

kjme11374 replied to bigred53's response:
(I have no medical training. This is only from my personal experience.)

BP can rise at Dr's office. I've heard it referred to as "white coat syndrome"....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_coat_hypertension

THis (following) is a technical article but may help to explain sitting/standing issue.

http://www.nursingtimes.net/measuring-lying-and-standing-bp-1/201069.article

billh99 responded:
First of all the "official" way to take BP is to be sitting with the feet supported, the back supported, the arm held as heart level, and after resting for 5 minutes.

However, rarely is this done. As was said the BP is usually taken as soon as you enter the room and often on the exam table with the back and feet unsupported.

As was mentioned in the link in the other message taking the BP seated and standing (and sometimes lying) is to test the ability of heart and arteries to adjust to changing conditions.

Normally it would not be done just for high blood pressure. Did you have any symptoms of lightheadness or similar? Or they might be doing some screening test to see how many of their patients have this.

Remember that you are you own best doctor. Also ask questions until you understand.

In this case ask why the extra BP test. And if they prescribe something ask how it is suppose to work, how long until it is effective, and common side effects.

Helpful Tips

Blood pressure
I would like to know what couph medicine I can take with out my blood pressure going up. My dr gave me a inhaler, but sometimes it's not ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 11 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center