Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Salt subststutes and potassium chloride
chopperbobby posted:
I have been on a low sodium diet for a month or so, and the hardest part for me is not using the salt shaker in eating and cooking, so I am looking for a salt substitute.
Some of the better tasting ones contain potassium chloride. Is this ingredient harmful in any way? I have heard and read rumors about it, so I don't know what to believe.
Please advise.
Bob Burns

bigred53 responded:
I wish I could give you an educated reply but I do know a lot of people who use Mrs. Dash to replace salt.

I'm a salt freak, however, a medication I take depletes my body of sodium and whenever I have blood work done my sodium levels are always in the very low normal range.

I have finally lost enough weight to get off blood pressure medication and my bp is usually around 120 or lower over 70 or lower. On rare occasions it goes up into the 130's/80's. I do know that our bp does fluctuare throughout the day. As long as my doctor is happy and not worried then so am I.

Good luck finding a salt substitute that you like.

Michelle

billh99 responded:
Potassium is important electrolyte in the body.

And there is some their that in with the SAD (standard American diet) that the problem is not too much sodium, but not enough potassium in the diet.

So in that aspect potassium "salt" might be good.

However, some BP meds cause the body to excrete potassium and those extra potassium would be good.

But other BP meds cause the body to hold onto potassium and the extra potassium could be harmful.

Talk to your pharmacist about this.

chopperbobby replied to bigred53's response:
wish I could give you an educated reply but I do know a lot of people who use Mrs. Dash to replace salt.
I was thinking about using Mrs. Dash, but I am concerned about the benefits or harmful effects of potassium chloride.

I'm a salt freak, however, a medication I take depletes my body of sodium and whenever I have blood work done my sodium levels are always in the very low normal range.
I think humans, and probably animals crave salt, and food manufacturers know this, and load their products with sodium.It does enhance flavor. Salt free potato chips suck.

I have finally lost enough weight to get off blood pressure medication and my bp is usually around 120 or lower over 70 or lower. On rare occasions it goes up into the 130's/80's. I do know that our bp does fluctuare throughout the day. As long as my doctor is happy and not worried then so am I.
I have a home PB machine, but I do not trust it. It gives very different readings from one reading to the next taken immediately after the other.

Good luck finding a salt substitute that you like.
We got some Table Tasty salt substitute which has no "bad" stuff in it. I'm not convinced that it can replace salt, but it made a good rub for BBQ'd pork steaks.

chopperbobby replied to billh99's response:
Potassium is important electrolyte in the body.
Yes, but it there a difference between potassium and potassium chloride? That is my main concern.

And there is some their that in with the SAD (standard American diet) that the problem is not too much sodium, but not enough potassium in the diet.
Lots of different opinions out there, but the major conclusion is that sodium is a major cause of hypertension. Potassium does combat HPB though.There are other causes I guess, like heredity and other medical conditions. Stress too.

So in that aspect potassium "salt" might be good.
Potassium yes. Potassium chloride ?.

However, some BP meds cause the body to excrete potassium and those extra potassium would be good.
My doctor is having me fight my HBP with a low sodium diet to see if it works before he prescribes meds.

billh99 replied to chopperbobby's response:
From all of my readings the critical element is the sodium in sodium chloride and potassium is the critical element in potassium chloride.

Now chloride is part of the normal blood test and a critical electrolyte. But your are replacing one source of the chloride with another source. Would not expect a major change in chloride levels.

Here is some information on Chloride and the blood test.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/chloride-cl
http://www.medicinenet.com/electrolytes/article.htm

chopperbobby replied to billh99's response:
Thank you for the reply and the information.

atti_editor replied to chopperbobby's response:
Hi chopperbobby,

You might also be interested in this homemade salt substitute recipe . Enjoy!

-Atti

chopperbobby replied to atti_editor's response:

You might also be interested in this homemade salt substitute recipe
Thank you. I will give it a try.
Bob

Helpful Tips

High Blood Pressure/Weight Loss
Lossing a significant amount of weight will help your blood pressure go down and possibly get you off of your medication. I know people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center