Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Blood Pressure Medication
jamesws posted:
I have been taking Atenolol daily for the past few years at 25mg. Having a consistent blood pressure reading at or near 140 over 85+, my physician suggested doubling the daily dosage of this same medication. What would be a reasonable time period in which I may begin to see improved (if any) results?

With respect to having hypothyroidism for the past 30 years, I recently consulted with an endocrinologist who suggested I begin taking Synthroid vs. Levothyroxine. Also it was prescribed that I take a certain dosage of Synthroid certain days of the week and another dosage the other days of the week. Is this a reasonable approach to take? Can I ever expect to take just one dosage all the time in the foreseeable future?

billh99 responded:
No medical professionals typically responds in this forum.

Also it was prescribed that I take a certain dosage of Synthroid certain days of the week and another dosage the other days of the week.

It is my impression that it is difficult to balance the dosage of those meds. My guess is the reason for taking different dosages on different days.

Atenolol is a beta blocker. While there are reasons to prescribe it for certain heart conditions or if other BP meds have not worked. The guidelines indicate that an ACEinhibitor (or ABR) or Calcium Channel Blocker be the first choice for controlling blood pressure.

Helpful Tips

Don't be afraid...you're not alone
For all who stumble upon this thread, I can feel the pain of trying to quit (and yes, quitting smoking will probably solve all the problems ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center