caring for my elderly mother with high BP
An_256694 posted:
I have a question ....what BP triggers a visit to the ER? My Mom,78, lives with us, and she takes two BP meds amlodipine/Valsartan and Aldomet. She was just switched due to fluid retention, fluid in the lungs and some around the heart (CHF.) I did not get a straight answer from her doctor about when to take her to the ER . Finally he said she should not go unless her systolic pressure is higher than 200. Seems very high. My mother-in-law had a major hemorrhagic stroke, and her BP was 170/100. I am worried that she may have a stroke if we wait until her BP reaches 200. Now the Dr. has given her a med to take when it is really high, and says wait 2 hours.
billh99 responded:
Medical Professionals don't normally respond in this forum.

Here is what the American Heart Assoc says

Hypertensive crises can present as hypertensive urgency or as a hypertensive emergency.

If, while monitoring your blood pressure, you get a systolic reading of 180 mm Hg or higher OR a diastolic reading of 110 mm HG or higher, wait a couple of minutes and take it again. If the reading is still at or above that level, you should seek immediate emergency medical treatment for a hypertensive crisis. If you can't access the emergency medical services (EMS), have someone drive you to the hospital right away.

Hypertensive Urgency
Hypertensive urgency is a situation where the blood pressure is severely elevated [180 or higher for your systolic pressure (top number) or 110 or higher for your diastolic pressure (bottom number)>, but there is no associated organ damage. Those experiencing hypertensive urgency may or may not experience one or more of these symptoms:
  • Severe headache
  • Shortness of breath
  • Nosebleeds
  • Severe anxiety
Treatment of hypertensive urgency generally requires readjustment and/or additional dosing of oral medications, but most often does not necessitate hospitalization for rapid blood pressure reduction. A blood pressure reading of 180/110 or greater requires immediate evaluation, because early evaluation of organ function and blood pressure elevations at these levels is critical to determine the appropriate management.